Medical Examination by a Surgeon

If you suffer from the symptoms listed above, you should seek the help of a hand surgery specialist or a plastic surgeon. During an outpatient examination, you and the surgeon will discuss the condition, related problems and any previous injuries to the hand affected. The surgeon will provide you with all the necessary information on the treatment and possible complications, post-operative pain and the wound-healing process. You will also be asked about your general medical condition, past surgeries, regular medication and allergies. If you agree on a surgical intervention, which is usually performed under general or regional anaesthesia (local anaesthesia will only rarely suffice), you will also set an approximate date for the surgery. You will be referred to the anaesthesiology clinic, where the doctor will fill you in on anaesthesia and tell you what examinations may be needed before the surgery.